stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Fremantle <p...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Stratos for Graduation?
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:39:41 GMT
Can I propose we therefore go ahead with a vote and put together a
resolution? I've taken a first pass at a resolution by basic cut and paste
from previous.

I'd also like to propose Lakmal as the potential VP.

Paul

Initial draft of Resolution:

       Establish the Apache Stratos Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
       the public, related to providing an implementation of a
       Platform-as-a-Service foundation.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Stratos Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Stratos Project be and hereby is
       related to providing an implementation of a Platform-as-a-Service
       foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Stratos" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache Stratos Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache Stratos Project; and be it further

       Apache Stratos Project:

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that XXXXXXX
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Stratos, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Stratos PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Stratos Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Stratos Project be and hereby
       Incubator Stratos podling; and be it further

       Incubator Stratos podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

On 26 March 2014 00:45, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Thank you Ross! That seems accurate to me. :)
>

> On 26 March 2014 00:50, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>
>> My name came up and so my filters drew me to this interesting thread.
>>
>> Before I comment I should point out that I have not reviewed all the
>> archives, only this thread. I should also point out that although I
>> championed this project I did not take on a role as a mentor and have not
>> been tracking the project. My opinion is therefore non-binding.
>>
>> Taking this thread as my only source of data I see no community
>> related reason why the project should not move for graduation. There seems
>> to be a little disconnect over what is required in reporting new committers
>> etc. I hope mentors are addressing that and I trust mentors have ensured
>> releases are being conducted correctly. But from a community perspective
>> things look fine.
>>
>> Noah has asked whether the PMC is having issues with recognizing non-WSO2
>> contributions. Noah has not pointed to specific cases where this can be
>> seen happening, he is merely raising it as a potential issue. From what I
>> can tell Noah is more interested in having the PPMC think about and more
>> clearly document the meritocratic process for this project. This is
>> important, but need not be a blocker on graduation. The PPMC will
>> eventually figure out that it needs to be done if the project is to
>> succeed. Indeed, we see evidence of actions in the PPMC to directly address
>> this.
>>
>> There is no requirement for diversity in an Apache project, only a
>> requirement for the project to operate in a way that facilitates diversity.
>> I see no evidence of Stratos avoiding diversity.
>>
>> Lets not forget that things can always be done better, our goal should
>> not be perfection or projects would never graduate.
>>
>> Ross
>>

>> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
>> Senior Technology Evangelist
>> Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
>> A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

>>> Its clear your view on this is to wait. That's fine - you are of course
>>> entitled to your view. As a long time ASF Member I personally think your
>>> view is rather narrow on this but obviously that's my biased view.
>>>
>>> According to http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stratos.html, there
>>> are a bunch of mentors and of course we have Ross as the champion. What do
>>> the rest of the mentors think?
>>>
>>>  Champion rgardler Ross Gardler Mentors azeez Afkham Azeez . smarruSuresh Marru.mpierceMarlon
Pierce.chipchildersChip Childers.mnourMohammad Nour.nslaterNoah Slater.antelderAnt Elder

--
Paul Fremantle
CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2

UK: +44 207 096 0336
US: +1 646 595 7614

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
twitter.com/pzfreo
paul@wso2.com

wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware

Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s. If you are not
the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have received this
communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and
delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information contained in this
communication. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely,
secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.