stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 01:43:28 GMT
Hi,

Actually I did some research on composite service deployment support in
CAMP specification [1] during past few weeks.

I will send a separate mail with detailed information, to add a brief
description to this discussion, CAMP provides a domain model for defining
relationships among Platforms, Plans, Services, Components, Assemblies,
etc. Based on this domain model CAMP defines an archive file format called
Platform Deployment Package (PDP) which could be used for defining
composite service definitions which ensures portability across platforms.

A PDP would contain a plan definition which internally defines a set of
services which will be deployed for the given plan:

Plan Definition:
{
  "uri": URI,
  "name": String,
  "type": "plan",
  "description": String ?,
  "tags": String[] ?,
  "representation_skew": String ?,
  "camp_version": String,
  "origin": String ?,
  "artifacts": [
    {
      "name": String ?,
      "description": String ?,
      "tags": String[] ?,
      "artifact_type": String,
      "content": { "href": URI },
      "requirements": [
        {
          "requirement_type": String,
          "fulfillment": {
            "name": String ?,
            "description": String ?,
            "tags": String[] ?,
            "id": String ?,
            "href": URI ?,
            "characteristics": {
              characteristic: String +
            }
          } ?
        } +
      ] ?,
    } +
  ] ?,
  "services": [
    {
      "name": String ?,
      "description": String ?,
      "tags": String[] ?,
      "id": String ?,
      "href": URI ?,
      "characteristics": {
        characteristic: String +
      }
    } +
  ] ?
}

If we compare this model with what we currently use in Stratos 4.0.0 for
deploying services I think we could adapt CAMP specification without much
of a problem.

I'm currently looking into this, will post more information soon.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-519

Thanks

Imesh Gunaratne

Technical Lead, WSO2