stratos-dev mailing list archives

From chris snow <chsnow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Copying Puppet master installation script to Stratos repository
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2014 21:11:29 GMT
Hi Imesh,

Yes, I would use vagrant similar to the examples below:
(these examples use features not yet available in vagrant, so will be
slightly different in practise):

#
# stratos user
#

# set up cloudstack + stratos runtime then delete the  environment removing
all traces when done

vagrant up --provision=cloudstack
vagrant up --provision=stratos-runtime
# when done playing...
vagrant destroy -f

# openstack + stratos runtimes

vagrant up --provision=openstack
vagrant up --provision=stratos-runtime
# when done playing...
vagrant destroy -f

#
# stratos developer
#

# set up cloudstack + stratos runtime and stratos developer environment

vagrant up --provision=cloudstack
vagrant up --provision=stratos-runtime
vagrant up --provision=stratos-source
# when done playing...
vagrant destroy -f

In the last example, a stratos committer runs just three commands and has
an automated development environment setup that includes stratos source
code imported into eclipse within the guest machine.

The environment setup will take some time to provision, but can be run in
the background so the user can get on with other tasks. This automation is
much better than an error prone set of manual steps that can easily result
in the person following those steps losing interest (there are a number of
posts on stack overflow from frustrated users giving up after failing to
build a carbon based product).

When I have the cloudstack+stratos vagrant environment ready, hopefully
some of the above workflows will be much easier to demonstrate.

Many thanks,
Chris