stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Isuru Perera <isu...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: [stratos developer's guide] high level architecture diagram
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:43:21 GMT
Hi Chris,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM, chris snow <chsnow123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks again Isuru - some more questions inline...
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Isuru Perera <isurup@wso2.com> wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > I will review these thoroughly in the weekend.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM, chris snow <chsnow123@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Guys,
> >>
> >> I've created a simplified high level architecture diagram [1] (based
> >> on Lakmal's diagram) for the developers guide [2].
> >>
> >> The diagram aims to show the main components and the types of
> >> communication between those components.
> >>
> >> It may even make sense to simplify further by removing the topic names
> >> [3] as that information probably is too much to start with.
> >
> > IMO, It's better to have the topic names as the communication is much
> more
> > clear. And it would be better to have which one publishes and which ones
> are
> > subscribed.
> >>

> My diagram is really a functional model[1] and is concerned with:
>
> - what are the main components
> - what are the main functions of those components
> - what are the interfaces between the components (i.e. types of messages)
>
> This model should be understandable by users who probably don't care
> about the communication details yet.  The communication details will
> be shown in later models.

Okay. Great!

My concern was that none of the components send messages directly and
communicate only with an MB.

But I understand now. Since we know how each component is using the MB we
can show how each component's communication among others directly.

> ---
> [1]
> http://www.viewpoints-and-perspectives.info/home/viewpoints/functional-viewpoint/
>

> >> Do these diagrams make sense?
> >> Where I have '???' What are the types of these messages?
> >
> > Cloud Controller doesn't have direct communication with Load Balancer.
> LB is
> > just a Cartridge to CC.
>
> Thanks, I will update that.
>
> > ADC uses the instance-notifier topic. Same as other pub/sub
> communications.
> > ADC publishes, Agent subscribes.
> >>
> >> Does jclouds interacted with the IaaS or interact with the cartridges
> >> to manage instances?
> >
> > jclouds communicate only with the IaaS and the basic operations are
> spawning
> > & terminating instances.
>
> I will update that also.
>

> > Cartridge is just an instance in the IaaS and we install Cartridge Agent
> > communicate with other Stratos components. We have scripts in the
> instances
> > to start up our Agent etc.
> >
> > The IaaS part of your diagram should be more simplified. The OS is also a
> > part of the Cartridge. So, the cartridge will not be shown inside an OS.
>
> Ah, so the cartridge is really a machine image (like an AMI) that
> contains an OS?

Yeah! We just install required software to the OS to make it a cartridge.

For example, the PHP Cartridge is just an Ubuntu image with PHP installed.