stratos-dev mailing list archives

From damitha kumarage <damith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2014 14:59:17 GMT
Please see my inline comment,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Isuru Haththotuwa <isuruh@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Martin Eppel (meppel) <meppel@cisco.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>

>> I think this property will be a quite useful piece to solve the grouping
>> issue:
>>

>> I also would like to suggest to add the serviceGroup to the topology map
>> (in case it is not yet available in the topology map). This  will help to
>> tie together cartridges (or services) in the autoscaler and , for example
>> enable synchronized auto scaling behavior of services within a service
>> group, like synchronized scaling, sequenced boot up, etc ....
>>

>> In addition the autoscaler should be enhanced to add additional (but
>> optional properties) in the auto scaling policy related to a service group
>> to govern the respective auto scaling behavior.
>>

>> For example, related properties should identify a service group and other
>> related properties to define dependencies between the various cartridges in
>> the service group like boot sequence, scale up / down ratios, termination
>> dependencies, etc ... . The property set (or json structure ) should be
>> fairly flexible as we are just about to explore this new feature and should
>> be easily expandable.
>>

>> I would think that these additions will also prove useful to integrate in
>> the long term with CAMP (or other spec) but will help to solve more
>> immediate requirements
>>

> Yes, these are very valid points in coming up with a proper grouping
> architecture for services. Thank you for bringing them up.
>
> As I understand, what Sajith has done here is enabling static grouping of
> services, by using a property for that in the cartridge deployment time.
> What we are trying to achieve in long term is dynamic grouping of services,
> so that we can group any available service at runtime seamlessly, according
> to CAMP specification (or some other suitable way).

I see three things here
1) Grouping and resolve inter-dependancies between  cartridges.
2) Composite Artifact deployment (May be if required, according to the
above grouping and inter-dependancy( of cartridges. There can also be
intra-dependancies  inside a cartridge in case of artifact deployment)
3) Improved nonitoring and health check of above intricacies.

Instead of adopt CAMP to solve above, I think it is better to discuss and
find ways that fits most naturally to the existing Stratos
architecture(Unless CAMP is widely adopted and we are compelled to
adhere).  Is there a way we can solve this without doing major changes to
existing components? For example without complicating autoscaler
policies/logic as suggested by Martin above?

Damitha

Damitha Kumarage
http://people.apache.org/