stratos-dev mailing list archives

From damitha kumarage <damith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Passing Payload to VMware vCloud VMs
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2014 01:15:57 GMT
Hi,
In EC2 and Openstack IaaS when we pass user data through jclouds api it is
stored in a storage called metadata server. In vCouds where user data get
stored?

Now in Openstack and EC2 "cloud ready" Ubuntu images has some internal
scripts to get that user data from metadata server and store it somewhere
when instance bootup. In certain OS's where "cloud ready" images are not
provided(Openstack/Docker images, suse images sometime back), we need to
write our own init scripts to retrieve user data from metadata server when
instance boot up.

So cartridge agent has to handle this depending on the IaaS and/or OS, by
one of following ways.
- In "cloud ready" images where user data already retrieved, copy them to
Stratos specific location from the originally retrieved location

- In "not so cloud ready images", but where metadata server is available
retrieve data from metadata server and store in Stratos specific
location(Docker, old Suse)

- In other cases retrieve data from whatever server it is stored and copy
them to Stratos specific location.

I suggest in Stratos agent, isolate code which depend on IaaS, OS(like in
this userdata case).

Damitha

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Isuru Perera <isurup@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> The cartridges in Amazon EC2 and OpenStack are configured using Puppet.
>
> We pass the puppet master IP to those cartridges and the agent will be
> executed by the init script.
>
> We need to do the same with vCloud.
>
> So, I'm thinking whether we can write user data to some file via the
> customization script and then read that from the init script.
>
> I think in summary, the requirement is same as you mentioned.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Sent from my mobile
> On Mar 12, 2014 11:39 PM, "Paul Fremantle" <paul@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Looks like you should put a secure HTTP get request into the
>> customization script that then pulls the real config from a server.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> On 12 March 2014 18:00, Isuru Perera <isurup@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been looking for way to do $subject.
>>>
>>> It seems there is no way of passing user-data (payload) to VMs in vCloud
>>> similar to Amazon EC2 and OpenStack.
>>>
>>> Udara has also looked in to this and he has asked the same question on
>>> StackOverflow [1]
>>>
>>> Looks like we need to use a custom script [2] and pass user-data.
>>>
>>> The script depends on the target Cartridge OS.
>>>
>>> So we need to think of way to achieve this requirement.
>>>
>>> I will look into this further and update this thread.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19628362/passing-payloads-to-vcloud-vms
>>> [2]
>>> http://pubs.vmware.com/vcloud-director-1-5/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=user/GUID-724EB7B5-5C97-4A2F-897F-B27F1D4226C7.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Isuru Perera
>>> Senior Software Engineer | WSO2, Inc. | http://wso2.com/
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware
>>>
>>> about.me/chrishantha
>>>

>> --
>> Paul Fremantle
>> CTO and Co-Founder, WSO2
>> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair, Apache Member
>>
>> UK: +44 207 096 0336
>> US: +1 646 595 7614
>>
>> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
>> twitter.com/pzfreo
>> paul@wso2.com
>>
>> wso2.com Lean Enterprise Middleware
>>
>> Disclaimer: This communication may contain privileged or other
>> confidential information and is intended exclusively for the addressee/s.
>> If you are not the intended recipient/s, or believe that you may have
>> received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating
>> that fact and delete the copy you received and in addition, you should not
>> print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information
>> contained in this communication. Internet communications cannot be
>> guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not
>> accept liability for any errors or omissions.

Damitha Kumarage
http://people.apache.org/