stratos-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <mep...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: [Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 02:03:02 GMT
Great,

Thanks

Martin

From: Imesh Gunaratne [mailto:imesh@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:43 PM
To: dev@stratos.incubator.apache.org
Cc: sajith@wso2.com; Martin Eppel (meppel)
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)

Hi,

Actually I did some research on composite service deployment support in CAMP specification
[1] during past few weeks.

I will send a separate mail with detailed information, to add a brief description to this
discussion, CAMP provides a domain model for defining relationships among Platforms, Plans,
Services, Components, Assemblies, etc. Based on this domain model CAMP defines an archive
file format called Platform Deployment Package (PDP) which could be used for defining composite
service definitions which ensures portability across platforms.

A PDP would contain a plan definition which internally defines a set of services which will
be deployed for the given plan:

Plan Definition:
{
  "uri": URI,
  "name": String,
  "type": "plan",
  "description": String ?,
  "tags": String[] ?,
  "representation_skew": String ?,
  "camp_version": String,
  "origin": String ?,
  "artifacts": [
    {
      "name": String ?,
      "description": String ?,
      "tags": String[] ?,
      "artifact_type": String,
      "content": { "href": URI },
      "requirements": [
        {
          "requirement_type": String,
          "fulfillment": {
            "name": String ?,
            "description": String ?,
            "tags": String[] ?,
            "id": String ?,
            "href": URI ?,
            "characteristics": {
              characteristic: String +
            }
          } ?
        } +
      ] ?,
    } +
  ] ?,
  "services": [
    {
      "name": String ?,
      "description": String ?,
      "tags": String[] ?,
      "id": String ?,
      "href": URI ?,
      "characteristics": {
        characteristic: String +
      }
    } +
  ] ?
}

If we compare this model with what we currently use in Stratos 4.0.0 for deploying services
I think we could adapt CAMP specification without much of a problem.

I'm currently looking into this, will post more information soon.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-519

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu) <jeffrngu@cisco.com<mailto:jeffrngu@cisco.com>>