stratos-dev mailing list archives

From bala ajanthan <balaajant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publishing Instance Logs To an External Monitoring Server
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:29:13 GMT
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Isuru Haththotuwa <isuruh@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> The purpose of this thread is to do discuss $subject.
>
> To monitor the status and debug in case of an issue, its very helpful if
> some information about the instance can be collected. Specially if the
> instance crashed due to an issue, there will be no information available on
> what went wrong within the instance.
>
> As the initial version, I propose to monitor several logs in the instance
> and publish them to an external monitoring server where the logs will be
> collected. I have attached the proposed sequence diagram here:
>
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> Here, a user would specify the log file locations when a cartridge is
> deployed (as properties?). This information would be extracted by the
> Stratos Manager and put to the payload that is sent to the instance via
> Cloud Controller. The Cartridge Agent in the instance would read the
> relevant log files and send them to a monitoring server. Please share your
> thoughts.

Reading files time to time and sending to external sinks seems to be not
good idea.Log collecting should be completely event driven which will
enable us to give real time logs to user.
How about Agent acting as syslog server?Makes the agent to receive syslog
events within the instance and then sending those events to pluggable
distributed logging solutions.Apache fume[0] seems to be good fit.
It can act as a bridge between log sources and sinks.It has syslog
sources[1] for collecting syslog events and various sinks.

[0]http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#data-flow-model
[1]http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#syslog-sources

--
Balachandiran Ajanthan