stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Uniquely Identifying a LB Cartridge
Date Sat, 18 Jan 2014 05:43:44 GMT
To be clear, concern I raised was to the idea of creating elements in order
to recognize whether it's a lb Cartridge (eg: isLoadBalancer or something).
If we're to go this path we'll end up adding whole lot of elements to the
config, to detect whether it's a data Cartridge and so on.

I'm +1 for defining a general property. But not sure how practical it is.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <lahirus@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sent from my mobile.
>
> On Jan 17, 2014 1:18 PM, "damitha kumarage" <damitha23@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nirmal,
> > IMHO it is not a bad idea to promote an optional property to a mandatory
> property if it is deemed such promotion is necessary. However such changes
> desired to be infrequent and can be allowed between major versions.
>
> +1. This is an important property. Specially when we have more cartridge
> types as Isuru mentioned. Then we can't check if it's there or not. We have
> to know which type is it.
> So +1 for mandating this.
>
> Thanks.
>

> > Damitha
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070125@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Isuru,
> >>
> >> Problem I see here is, if we follow the same structure, we have to
> keep  adding new elements to the configuration, which would make it complex
> to configure. So, IMO we should keep using properties (since these are
> optional elements) leveraging the extensibility of the Cartridge definition
> file and correctly document them all.

> property in cartridge definition ("name": "load.balancer", "value":
> "true"). The Autoscaler looks at this to decide whether to assign a normal
> Cluster Monitor or a LB Cluster Monitor. If this property is not available,
> there is no way to do this.
> >>

> >> Well, the logic should be corrected (if it's not already there) to
> assume the value of this property as false by default. So, if you didn't
> specify it explicitly, its value still be false.

> WDYT of adding a unique property to identify the LB cartridge? Furthermore,
> we could extend this approach to uniquely identify the four basic cartridge
> categories as previously discussed in the mail thread with subject [1].

> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Nirmal
> >>
> >> Nirmal Fernando.
> >> PPMC Member & Committer of Apache Stratos,
> >> Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
> >>
> >> Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/
> >

> > --
> > Damitha Kumarage