stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Load Balancer] [Developer Guide] How to Setup Development Environment
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 03:01:03 GMT
This is now added to [1] as a generic guide for setting up development
environment. We will add separate pages for each product specific
information.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Setting+Up+Development+Environment

Thanks

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <imesh@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm glad you liked it. Yes please, feel free to post it in Stack-Overflow.
>
> A good finding Chris, actually that's something we need to remove. We
> don't use a database in LB at the moment. I will update it.
>
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM, chris snow <chsnow123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This email has good timing - I was just trying to figure out how to get
>> the LB running standalone!
>>
>> These instructions would be great an stackoverflow - would you be happy
>> for me to post them there?   It would be great if there was an
>> apache-stratos tag on stackoverflow.   Do you know anyone with a reputation
>> of 1500 points on stackoverflow that could a new tag: apache-stratos?
>>
>> Btw, why is there a dbscripts folder in the LB distribution?  Is a DB
>> required for LB?
>>
>> Many thanks Imesh!!
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <imesh@apache.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> This is a generic guide for setting up development environment to work
>>> with Stratos Load Balancer. Some parts of it may common to other Stratos
>>> products.
>>>

>>> Initial Setup (Common to all products):
>>>
>>> 1. Install JDK 1.6 and find its path.
>>> 2. Create JAVA_HOME environment variable and point it to JDK home path.
>>> 3. Install Apache Maven version >= 3.0.0 and find its path.
>>> 4. Create M2_HOME environment variable and point to to Maven home path.
>>> 5. Set MAVEN_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1536m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
>>> -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256m" environment variable.
>>> 6. Install a preferred Java IDE and make sure Maven support is available.
>>> 7. Checkout Apache Stratos (incubating) source code from its git
>>> repository:
>>>     git clone
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-stratos.git
>>> 8. Import root pom.xml to the IDE as a Maven project:
>>> incubator-stratos/pom.xml
>>> 9. Execute mvn clean, mvn install life-cycles of the root pom.xml to
>>> build the complete project. This will build all service stubs, components,
>>> features, products and extensions.
>>>
>>> Setup Message Broker and Sample Event Publisher:
>>>
>>> 1. Download WSO2 Message Broker 2.1.0 from:
>>> http://wso2.com/products/message-broker/
>>> 2. Extract message broker binary distribution.
>>> 3. Update port offset in <mb-home>/repository/conf/carbon.xml to 5:
>>>     <Offset>5</Offset>
>>> 4. Run <mb-home>/bin/wso2server.sh to start the message broker.
>>> 3. Checkout the sample event publisher client from
>>> https://github.com/imesh/apache-stratos-samples/tree/master/apache-stratos-sample-event-publisher
>>>     This client could be used for publishing events to message broker
>>> for populating the topology data structure in load balancer.
>>>

>>> Run/Debug Load Balancer:
>>>
>>> 1. Extract load balancer binary package at
>>> incubator-stratos/products/load-balancer/modules/distribution/target, will
>>> call this lb-home.
>>> 2. Execute <lb-home>/bin/stratos.sh or stratos.bat to start the load
>>> balancer.
>>> 3. To start a debugging session in the IDE, execute stratos.sh or
>>> stratos.bat with --debug <port> and connect to its remote session.
>>>

>>> Load Balancer Related Components:
>>>
>>> components/org.apache.stratos.load.balancer
>>> components/org.apache.stratos.load.balancer.common