stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IaaS support for multiple partition
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2013 04:01:46 GMT
I brought the same concern out, in an offline discussion with you, since
cloud-controller no more decides the information on where the instance
would get spawned, it is best to keep those information in Autoscaler.

Please come up with a two separate config files and let's discuss them here
and come to a consensus.

Hint: You should think carefully, how to map these two effectively. :)

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <lahirus@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking on the cloud partitions definition in the system.
> Currently we plan to define them in Cloud Controller config and then in the
> cartridge.xml as Reka also explained above.
> In this design, we have to use a cartridge.xml if we want to hot deploy.
> Also the new partition definition is limited to that cartridge.
>
> In a second thought i though of following design,
>
> Define cloud partitions in a separate xml file which is hot deployable
> inside Autoscaler. Then the 'partition' object is passed to Cloud
> Controller which has all the details to spwan the instance in correct
> partition.
>
> Here are the advantages over current plan.
>

>    - Definitions of cloud partitions are used in Autoscaler for making
>    the decision on the capacity planing and the deployment pattern.
>    - This will remove following limitation from the current design.
>
> Defined partition will be limited to a particular cartridge as we define
> it in a cartridge.xml in the current design.
>
>    - Here, all the partition definitions are deployed by the dev-op
>    role(or equal) of the client. So there is no point of limiting a partition
>    definition to a particular cartridge.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Reka Thirunavukkarasu <reka@wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> Reka, it's good that you followed the same pattern we had in Cartridge
>> design. It's best if you can generate the XSD and validate the definition,
>> if not already done.
>> +1. Will generate and validate against XSD.
>>

>>> Question:
>>>
>>> * Why we need both type and id?
>>>
>> "id" introduced for a readability purpose. If it is redundant, then we
>> can get rid of the id and go ahead with the type.
>>

>>> * How the policy file and cartridge definition relates? Should one
>>> configure policy file and cartridge definition together?
>>>
>>  Yah. Devop need to configure cartridge definition as well as the policy
>> file together. But still, according to my understanding, policy file can be
>> generic and independent from the cartridge definition. In this case, we
>> might not able to apply all the policies to all the cartridge definition.
>> So, it is Stratos Manger's responsibility to validate the cartridge
>> definition against the policy files and display the applicable list of
>> policies to a cartridge.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reka

>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Nirmal
>>>
>>> Nirmal Fernando.
>>> PPMC Member & Committer of Apache Stratos,
> [...]

Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.