stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: proposed architectural changes to Stratos
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 05:57:01 GMT
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070125@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 for the new design.
>
> A question:
>
> How can we handle multiple load balancer scenario where one load balancer
> would not interested in all the clusters but a set of selected ones? I
> suggest we go for a hierarchical topic concept, instead of one single
> topology topic.

Are you suggesting some topic hierarchy which recognizes the actual LB
type? I don't like that because that couples the CC to LB types. My
preference is a model where all LBs get all updates and they decide what
they care about and do something about those.

>>    - Traffic comes in thru any load balancer (e.g. HAProxy for non-HTTP
>>    traffic and our LB for HTTP traffic). LB routes based on its configuration
>>    which is periodically updated by the Cloud Controller via topology update
>>    messages.
>>
>> IMO we should send topology messages periodically (even there's no
> change), so that LB can get the current status of the system, even after a
> restart.

Yeah to handle fresh LBs we either need to have a periodic update going out
or have a way for the LB to contact the CC and get the latest config. I
prefer the latter because that's a bit like ADC being used to config a
fresh instance. In fact, going forward we could even auto scale LBs .. but
that's a bit far fetched as it requires possibly doing DNS updates too. But
its not that hard.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.