stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: proposed architectural changes to Stratos
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 01:19:35 GMT
Hi Dale,

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Chalfant, Dale (DTI) <
Dale.Chalfant@state.de.us> wrote:

>  Team:****
>
> ** **
>
> Some things to consider for long-term roadmap:****
>
> ** **
>
> ****
>
> System documentation (such as system diagrams / deployment diagrams) go
> into repository (ideally an ITIL configuration management database/CMDB).
> This information is used along with rules to form build scripts.  Certain
> instances are hibernated for quick startup (higher cost than building from
> scratch, but lower cost than active).

This is an interesting next step definitely. We currently have a CMDB too -
that the manager writes to - but its fairly rudimentary yet. Right now we
are dealing with atomic service deployment only I believe. The next step is
to have a composite model that takes an entire system and deploys it as a
whole. Lakmal can you clarify what we can do in that regard right now - in
terms of inter-cartridge dependencies etc..

My suggestion is to do this improvement (support for composite apps -
that's where even specs like CAMP come in) next. We had some some for CAR
(WSO2's composite application archive) format but I'm not sure what status
its in.

Metering is performed on the boxes and we balance resources based on
> acceleration rather than some threshold.  If a box is running 95% CPU and
> has been doing so for a while, that is a good thing, not an indicator of
> needing another box per se, but if the box is at 5% then quickly is
> climbing (high acceleration), we would want to fire up a hibernated box and
> get another in the pipeline.

Yes +1. This is easily implementable in the proposed new architecture -
basically a CEP query which says if the rate of change of system load stays
at 5% over a few minute interval then fire up another one type query. Great
point that rate of change is more important than the actual current load.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/