stratos-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] probationary TLP experiment
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:32:01 GMT
Heh, well that wasn't quite the response i was expecting.

>From all the previous discussions around pTLPs we know there are some who
really don't like the idea, i don't want this to turn into another big
argument so I've been trying to think of ways this could happen with
minimum of fuss. In the email at the start of this thread a suggestion was
"propose an interim step in the incubation process. e.g. start as a
podling, move to pTLP when certain criteria are met". I like that, but one
problem is there is some baggage around the word "pTLP".

A problem with starting the pTLP experiment from a podling is always going
to be whats the difference between becoming a pTLP or just graduating, so a
better understanding of that will be helpful (for me anyway) - is there
something that has been done already since Stratos has been a podling that
now means a pTLP makes less sense? One of those things might be the
trademark search, but thats not yet been done for Stratos.

Doing a release is being discussed but thats one of the more problematic
activities while in the Incubator and can potentially drag on and on, so
finding a way out before that would be good. Either via a pTLP or just
trying for graduation and arguing that the high number of existing ASF
people involved means the release will still be properly vetted even
outside of the Incubator. But again that just brings me back to whats the
difference to becoming a pTLP or just graduating?

   ...ant