stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Jclouds dependancies
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:15:41 GMT
On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 04:11:29PM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 01:34:23AM +0530, Lahiru Sandaruwan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Shall we bring dependency directory to the code base. We need a place to
> > have followings,
> >
> > org.jclouds.api:openstack-nova:jar:1.5.0-beta.5.wso2v1,
> > org.jclouds.api:openstack-keystone:jar:1.5.0-beta.5.wso2v1,
> > org.jclouds.api:openstack-nova:jar:1.5.0-beta.5.wso2v1
> >

> Are you suggesting adding the jar files into the git repo?
>
> If so, I don't recommend it.  Apache releases are "source only", so if
> those are in the repo it will require removing them from the source
> tarball.  Is there any reason that you can't depend on them in the
> project POMs?
>
> Keep in mind the jclouds is another podling within the incubator, so if
> you need anything from them I'd bet they could help.
>
> -chip

And just to provide a link to explain what I meant by "source only", see
the following paragraph that's at [1].

"""
The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All
releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make changes
to the software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode packages
are also produced as a convenience to users that might not have the
appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the source. In all such
cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the same version number as
the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files that are the
result of compiling that version of the source code release.
"""

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what