stdcxx-user mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation example doesn't compile with gcc
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:34:19 GMT
Misha Aizatulin wrote:
> hi all,
>
>   at the very end of http://stdcxx.apache.org/doc/stdlibug/34-2.html
> there is an example of using a reference to create a "copy" of cout.
> However this example doesn't initialize the defined reference at once
> (which is required in C++) and for this reason doesn't compile with my
> gcc 4.2.1.

That's definitely incorrect. The uninitialized reference is not
C++ and as noted in LWG issue 50, stream objects are not copyable.
The next C++ Standard makes that explicit by declaring the copy
ctor and copy assignment operator of class ios_base deleted.

I opened STDCXX-1024 to have the problematic example removed:
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-1024

LWG issue #50 for reference
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/lwg-defects.html#50

Thanks for pointing it out!