stdcxx-user mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Boost + Stdcxx (results)
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:02:13 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
>   I have compiled the boost library version 1.33.1 with stdcxx using
> MSVC 7.1, MSVC 8.0 and gcc 3.4.4 on Cygwin.
>
>   To compile the boost with stdcxx I have created .jam files that need
> to be placed in %BOOST_ROOT%/tools/build/v1 directory.
> The new .jam files and diff file boost-base.jam.diff can be found here:
> http://people.apache.org/~faridz/build/

Great! One thing I noticed in the gcc log below is that the Boost
infrastructure seems to be using g++ instead of gcc. That needs
to change, presumably in one of the .jam files, in order to avoid
linking with libstdc++, gcc's own implementation of the C++
Standard Library, and causing ODR violations at link or runtime.

[...]
>   The build logs (the build type 15s):
> MSVC 7.1: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_vc-7.1_15s.log
> MSVC 8.0: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_vc-8.0_15s.log
> GCC 3.4.4/Cygwin: http://people.apache.org/~faridz/boost_cygwin_15s.log
>
>   To successfull compilation of the boost library I have modified some
> boost files.
> The diffs of that files can be found here:
> http://people.apache.org/~faridz/diffs/

Are these unified diffs? (They look like plain ones.)

>   Now I will submit the found bugs to the boost tracking database with
> giving the link to this thread.

Please also post links to the Boost bugs you open on our lists for
cross-reference.

Also, the errors we're getting in the test suite for symbols like
bad_alloc, malloc, or memset, are most likely caused by Boost making
the same assumptions about these symbols being declared in other
library headers besides those where they are required to be declared,
just like they make the same assumptions in their libraries. We need
to go through them one at a time and report them as well.

Martin