stdcxx-user mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Incomplete types - compilation problem
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:43:50 GMT
Dipak Bapatla wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am trying to use Boost built using stdcxx on Solaris. I was able to
> build the date_time library but when I try to compile a test program I
> end up with errors related to incomplete types. I have narrowed the
> issue to the following code
>
>   #include <map>
> #include <string>
>   using namespace std;
>   template <class T>
> struct C {
>      typedef multimap<T,C> maps;
>      typedef typename maps::value_type value_type;

All containers require that their element types be complete types.
Except in the bodies of its member functions (and a few other cases)
a class is considered a complete type after the closing curly bracket.
So the above is undefined.

We have an enhancement request in our (Rogue Wave) database to allow
incomplete types in some of our containers (in particular in map) but
the enhancement is not implemented yet. Let me add your case to the
issue.

Martin