stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Search for new chair
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 17:49:26 GMT
On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:27:38 -0600
Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/30/2013 06:04 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > On May 29, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> But to be chair, one needs to be a member of the foundation.
> >
> > That's not true.
> >

> It would certainly simplify the situation if it wasn't.
>
> I've always understood that one would have to be based on statements
> like the one below (copied from Project Management Committees (PMC)):
>
>    Each PMC consists of at least one officer of the ASF, who shall
>    be designated chairperson, and may include one or more *other*
>    members of the ASF.

The statement is correct, although non-ASF members may also be
members of the project's PMC, and I think the statement was not
cast very clearly.

In appointing a chair, the Board simultaneously names them to be
a Vice President of the Foundation, ensuring they are an officer
of the ASF (and not simply a committee chair).

> That suggests that chairperson is the one required member of the
> foundation on a PMC.
>
>    The chair of the PMC is appointed by the Board and is an officer
>    of the ASF (Vice President).
>
> Does an officer of the ASF not have to be a member?

Correct.  Hope my comments above made this clearer.