stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms>
Subject Re: STDCXX-1056 : numpunct fix
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:39:56 GMT

On Sep 20, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Liviu Nicoara <nikkoara@hates.ms> wrote:
>
>> That is not it, and you did not. Please pay attention: given your assertion that
a race condition is a defect that causes an abnormal execution of the program during which
the program sees abnormal, incorrect states (read: variable values) it should be easy for
you to craft a program that shows evidence of that by either printing those values, or aborting
upon detecting them, etc.

> Oh, I see.
> [...]
>
> And the means of proving the existence of these "real" race conditions
> is ... [ drum roll ] ... fprintf(3C)?
> This is very funny. You made my day,

I have not created this requirement out of thin air. STDCXX development has functioned in
this manner for as long as I remember. If it does not suit you, that's fine.

Now, in all honesty, it is not too hard to do that. Once you can satisfactorily explain to
yourself what is wrong in the program, the creation of a test case is trivial. Some multi-threading
bugs are insidious and hard to reproduce, but even then it's doable by isolating as little
a portion of the codebase as possible, as a standalone program, and trimming it until the
failure becomes easily reproducible.