stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: STDCXX-1056 : numpunct fix
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 02:28:16 GMT
On 09/20/2012 06:46 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Liviu Nicoara<nikkoara@hates.ms>  wrote:
>
>> I have not created this requirement out of thin air. STDCXX development has functioned
in this manner for as long as I remember. If it does not suit you, that's fine.

> That would explain why these bugs are present in the first place.
>
> If the "official" method of determining thread-safety here is
> fprintf(3C), then we have a much bigger problem than
> 22.locale.numpunct.mt.

Tests that end in .mt.cpp use the RW_ASSERT() macro to verify
correctness in multithreaded programs. There is no way at the
moment to run a thread analyzer as part of the test suite,
although it would be a nice addition. As I said in my other
reply, though, not all data races necessarily indicate bugs,
so we'd need a way to distinguish between know/benign races
and the rest. (Unless we decide to eliminate all races and
accept the performance penalty.)

Martin