stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Bergström" <cbergst...@pathscale.com>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:00:07 GMT
On 08/31/12 06:43 AM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:

>>> well, it's half year since revival of the project was announced and has
>>> there been any progress/improvements? The state of this is a koma at best.
>> Just because bureaucrats say jump doesn't mean anything is going to happen.
> Pavel has had an unfortunate choice of words. Let's leave it at that.
>
>> -----------
>> The facts as I know it
>> 1) Our fork is maintained (continuous bug fixes - which we won't submit to Apache
now)
>> 2) Stefan is putting in some work (one man army)
>> 3) Wojciech Meyer had put in some work
>> 4) NetBSD has a small amount of patches they could probably push upstream (If Jörg
has the time)
>> 5) Martin is/was great for feedback in all areas of STL/C++/occasional code review
> While I recognize the value of each one of the points you make, I am puzzled as to why
you are not going forward on your way with your fork? How is the Apache Foundation keeping
you from making progress on your use of the library?
For our use it's not and I welcome any patches/help.

It may be missed opportunity for getting a larger userbase and a moot
point anyway.  Specifically FBSD - When trying to push it as part of c++
stack replacement or part of ports the only objection I got was
licensing related.  (At this point they could also argue missing c++11
support)  Their original FUD was not something I could easily overcome.
While STDCXX is at Apache it will never be BSD licensed.  Solution -
move it away from Apache foundation and have them transfer some of the
additional rights they received to allow recipient foundation to
relicense.  I thought this would be a win for the project and everyone,
but for some reason instead of opening a discussion to transfer - it's
just death grip and pushing to the attic.

/*
For those who have less tenacity or time to waste  reading this discussion
most mailing lists add a List-Unsubscribe header to emails
In thunderbird you can view this with ctrl+u
dev-unsubscribe@stdcxx.apache.org
*/