stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Bergström" <cbergst...@pathscale.com>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:45:55 GMT
On 08/31/12 03:10 AM, Pavel Heimlich, a.k.a. hajma wrote:
>> 2) Posting the project is dead on a public list certainly doesn't help grow a community
>>

> well, it's half year since revival of the project was announced and has
> there been any progress/improvements? The state of this is a koma at best.
Just because bureaucrats say jump doesn't mean anything is going to happen.
-----------
The facts as I know it
1) Our fork is maintained (continuous bug fixes - which we won't submit
to Apache now)
2) Stefan is putting in some work (one man army)
3) Wojciech Meyer had put in some work
4) NetBSD has a small amount of patches they could probably push
upstream (If Jörg has the time)
5) Martin is/was great for feedback in all areas of STL/C++/occasional
code review
-------------
I'm really not sure if to you this would make the project dead or in a
koma.  The problem as I have said before is there needs to be some
compelling reason to use STDCXX vs libc++.  Instead of just trying to
sweep it under the rug - why not find it a new home, put a one line call
for help on a blog/homepage or etc.  Apache leaders have a huge
readership, but this "koma" issue isn't on the general radar.

STDCXX isn't some stupid ass java framework or widget - It's a
*critical* part of a C++ stack and the cost of leaving it out of the
attic is negligible - What's the benefit of bringing up these attic
discussions?