stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Teleman <stefan.tele...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 17:00:21 GMT
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Travis Vitek
<Travis.Vitek@roguewave.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am going to ask the following questions in the open. Perhaps this
>> way I will get an answer:
>>
>> 1. Apparently, "Bill's emails" were sent and replied to on the private
>> list. I have not received any of them, although I am on the private
>> list. Or at least, I was on the private list as recently as late
>> March. Is this a case of mailing list malfunction? If that is the
>> case, it should be fixed.
>
> The e-mails regarding the ICLAs were sent to the @private list on 5/1.

Well, yes I got that. My problem is that I no longer receive emails
from @private. I used to, until about end of March/first week of
April. I even sent a bunch of emails to @private. If this is a
PMC".  So, here I am, contacting the stdcxx PMC about @private. I
would appreciate an answer.

>> 3. There was a recent and important PMC change at stdcxx.
>> Congratulations to Jim Jagielski for his new role as PMC Chair. Again,
>> I learned of this change yesterday, and that only from Jim's email. I
>> haven't received any notification about Jim's appointment prior to
>> yesterday, although, to be fair, I knew about it at the beginning of
>> May, because I read the ASF Board Minutes. Again, why wasn't there any
>> notification of this change?
>
> I read about it in the e-mail entitled 'ASF Board Meeting Summary - April 18, 2012'.
I don't normally read the meeting minutes, but I figured something was coming given the kerfuffle
over the lack of a March status report (all of which was discussed on the @private list).

Yes, I think that's how I learned about it too. But I generally don't
read Board Minutes, so the fact that I learned about this change was
entirely by accident.

I also believe that having a sudden PMC Chair change is an important
enough event that it warrants an email sent to dev@, announcing the
change. A three line email announcing the change isn't really that
much to ask of the ASF Board. In my experience, and generally
speaking, developers like knowing who is the new Boss.

>> 4. The nightly build emails, which had restarted towards the end of
>> February/beginning of March, have stopped. Why is that?
>
> It looks like the February builds were kicked off manually by Farid. I'm not sure if
the build system is configured to poll svn automatically or not, but the last submit to stdcxx
was on 2/20, so there has been no need to do any builds since that time.

Ah, OK. ISTR an email from Farid about some kind of move of the
nightly build infrastructure, and some problems with the builds as a
result of this move, but I don't remember the details right now.

Lastly, I have attached a patch for stdcxx-1058. I'd appreciate a
review, so I can commit the fix.

I have a bunch of more fixes and patches, but given that everyone is
busy, I'd rather submit the patches one by one, instead of carpet
bombing.

Thank you very much!

--Stefan

--