stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [disscuss] Retirement of stdcxx to the 'Attic'?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:57:44 GMT
On 2/2/2012 2:17 PM, Andrew Black wrote:
> While I am not completely familiar with the process, I took a couple minutes to look
at
> the website for the Attic project ( http://attic.apache.org/ ), and I thought I'd
> summarize the implications of this move as I understand them.

Good summary.

> * The project is forked. I get the impression that there are at least a couple informal
> forks of the codebase out there, but I have neither the time nor inclination to follow
> these forks and commit the changes back to subversion. The Attic website says they will
> link to any forks which have been created, but I don't know what criteria must be met
for
> this to happen.

The much larger issue is that the ASF is designed as a collaboration
hub where multiple consumers can be represented.  It is designed to
avoid the need for forks except in radical divisions within communities
where two or more groups want the code to proceed in different directions.
In order to remain a project, the ASF requires a PMC composed of the
contributors to the project (committers) which represent active user -
developers of the project's code, and are willing to both incorporate
all reasonable changes and draw in new individuals who are frequently
offering those changes.

As a standards body implementation, we would /hope/ there aren't huge
fractures in the direction of the code :)

If there are multiple forks at this point, the questions are why, and
what can be done to bring it all back together into a single community
where no one company or individual is shouldering the burden of
entirely maintaining the code on their own.

Feel free to chime in here on these questions.