stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject patch for STDCXX-1051
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2011 21:59:25 GMT
Wojciech,

I've reviewed your patch for STDCXX-1051. It looks reasonable
to me. I've made a couple of minor changes (see the attached
diff):

1) Renamed EXEC_RUNNER to CFG_EXEC to match the .cfg suffix
    we use for some of the configuration files (such as
    GNUMakefile.cfg), and left it unset by default to avoid
    unnecessarily invoking the shell by default. The extra
    shell invocation can be quite expensive on systems line
    CygWin and make the configuration process very slow.

2) Removed the changes to the link and compile_then_link
    functions. Because of the comments within them these
    were effectively commented out and had no effect.

    I also don't understand why the chmod +x command is
    necessary. The linker should set the executable bit after
    a successful link. There is one linker (HP) that fails (or
    used to) to delete the output file on failure (maybe when
    when it crashes). With that linker the only way to tell
    that the file is bad (other than the exit status of the
    linker) is by examining the executable bit.

I've successfully tested the attached patch both ways, with
and without a CFG_EXEC script. Let me know if this works for
you.

Martin