stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: stdcxx, Solaris, KDE
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:45:03 GMT
Pavel,

Thanks for the offer. A build infrastructure would be great, but
we only need to build and test stdcxx when we changes are made,
and lately we haven't been making any. The problem isn't a lack
of interest but rather a lack of time on my part (and that of
other committers).

I'd love to do a maintenance release (4.2.2) and I don't think
it would even take that much effort. But unfortunately I don't
have the bandwidth to do any development work or even review
and commit other people's patches. And because the ASF won't
give commit privileges to someone who hasn't contributed any
patches we have a catch 22 that we can't replace me with
someone else.

IMO, the only way to keep stdcxx alive is to fork it and move
development somewhere else, where the process isn't as rigid
as here. I know it's possible since other ASF projects have
done it. I just need to talk to the Board to find out what
the process is (which again takes time).

The next Board report for stdcxx is due so let me take the
opportunity to bring this up to see how to go about it. I'll
follow up here once I know more.

Martin