stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Wojciech Meyer <Wojciech.Me...@arm.com>
Subject RE: stdcxx and POSIX
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:27:43 GMT
Hi Martin,

Thank you for the quick reply.

> > Hi,
> >
> > We are trying to use stdcxx library on a environment where POSIX
> > environment is not available (and it is not a win32 platform), as
> > a continuation of RoguWave library.  We would like to know if
> > stdcxx supports it.

> Probably not without some minor tweaks. Stdcxx has been ported to
> z/OS (w/o the POSIX compatibility layer) some time ago without much
> difficulty so porting it to another non-POSIX platform shouldn't be
> too hard. Off the top of my head, file.cpp, memattr.cpp, mman.cpp,
> and once.cpp are the files that might need some work. memattr.cpp
> isn't really being used by the library so providing an empty body
> for the __rw_memattr() function for your platform should be good
> enough.

> IIRC, _RWSTD_NO_NATIVE_IO was put in place when porting stdcxx
> to z/OS. It hasn't been tested since then (perhaps as far back
> as 2006) so it may have bit rotten.

I think it would be very nice if Stdcxx could handle out of the box non
POSIX platforms, it is important especially in embedded world. I will not
mention test and utilities, as this could be more problematic.

> > On other side, the initialization routine (iostream.cpp) uses POSIX
> > file descriptors and posix calls for std console streams (cout,
> > cin, cerr objects and wchar equivalents), in this case there is no
> > other way than patching library to replace it with stdio.h functionality.
> >
> > To reproduce the problem, on the system where POSIX is not present:
> > #include<iostream>
> > int main() { return 0; }
> >
> > Will fail, because we could not compile it, even if we compiled it
> > excluding files that use POSIX we will get linking errors.  Is
> > there any chance of solving it in your upstream? We know about the
> > status of Apache STL.

> I see. It looks as though we need a switch to use stdin et al
> instead of STDIN_FILENO etc. Let me see if I can find some time
> to look into it this week and get back to you.

That would be great, then we could test on our environment and provide
you some sort of immediate feedback about it.

> Martin

Wojciech

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may
also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or
copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.