stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Wojciech Meyer <Wojciech.Me...@arm.com>
Subject stdcxx and POSIX
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:35:01 GMT
Hi,

We are trying to use stdcxx library on a environment where POSIX
environment is not available (and it is not a win32 platform), as
a continuation of RoguWave library.  We would like to know if
stdcxx supports it. We have found some occurrences of POSIX
headers and symbols in file.cpp and iostream.cpp.  Although
run-time behavior for iostreams can be changed by passing
unofficial extension to openmode _RWSTD_IOS_STDIO, but the POSIX
symbols are still present, so the compilation will fail.  There is
_RWSTD_NO_NATIVE_IO as the README file says:
o _RWSTD_NO_NATIVE_IO
[lib, over]
 #defined  to force  file streams  to use  the facilities  of libc
 stdio as opposed to the POSIX I/O interface.

and here:
  #ifndef _RWSTD_NO_NATIVE_IO
  # define _RWSTD_INVALID_FILE     -1
  # define _RWSTD_INVALID_OPENMODE -1
  #else
  # define _RWSTD_INVALID_FILE      (FILE*)0
  # define _RWSTD_INVALID_OPENMODE  0
  #endif // _RWSTD_NO_NATIVE_IO
but that does not to fix the problem at all.

On other side, the initialization routine (iostream.cpp) uses POSIX
file descriptors and posix calls for std console streams (cout,
cin, cerr objects and wchar equivalents), in this case there is no
other way than patching library to replace it with stdio.h functionality.

To reproduce the problem, on the system where POSIX is not present:
#include <iostream>
int main() { return 0; }

Will fail, because we could not compile it, even if we compiled it
excluding files that use POSIX we will get linking errors.  Is
there any chance of solving it in your upstream? We know about the
status of Apache STL.

Thanks.
Wojciech

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may
also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or
copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.