stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Bergström" <cbergst...@pathscale.com>
Subject Re: C++0x support?
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 21:29:43 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 11:57 AM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is anyone interested or actively working on C++0x support? It's my
>> understanding it would be a huge effort, but that's coming from the
>> people working on libc++.
>
> There is interest within the user community but I don't believe
> anyone is actively working on C++ 0x at the moment. I have a few
> patches in my local tree but nothing I could check in anytime
> soon. As for the effort, back in 2008 we estimated full C++ 0x
> support at 2,740 engineer hours. The big ones were:
>
>   Regular expressions (STDCXX-33): 1,080 hours
>   Containers (STDCXX-32):            400 hours
>   C compatibility (STDCXX-34):       340 hours
>   Numerical Facilities (STDCXX-31):  320 hours
>   General Utilities (STDCXX-28):     160 hours
>   Function Objects (STDCXX-29):      160 hours
>   Rvalue References:                 160 hours
>

>> Also I had a build failure on FBSD-8.0 the other day, but didn't make a
>> note of it. I'll probably file a proper bug report later..
>>
>> I'm interested to here if RogueWave's continued interest in the
>> project.. We potentially will be investing in it unless it's dead and
>> just purely maintenance mode..
>
> Rogue Wave stopped putting resources into the project in the
> summer of 2008. Which doesn't mean the project is dead -- just
> on sabbatical :)
>
> If someone is willing to put in development effort into stdcxx
> I'm willing to help.
Thanks for the reply Martin...

Does that mean Rogue Wave stopped updating their internal copy as well
or just not pushing changes?  Can anyone comment on why we'd want to
spend 2,740 man hours updating STDCXX vs contributing to libc++[1] ?

Assuming our tests continue to go well I think we'll probably submit bug
fixes and any low hanging performance improvements.

Thanks!

./C

[1] http://libcxx.llvm.org/

ps. Martin please email me if you or anyone else is interested being
sponsored to work on the project.