stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing ostream<< symbol w/SUNWspro
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:15:51 GMT
richardjm wrote:
> I have compiled stdcxx 4.2.1 with SUNWspro (using build flags
> debug,shared,threads and the sunpro.config) and when I try to run a simple
> helloworld application I get a missing symbol for the ostream<< operator. If
> I remove the inline keyword from the operator<< templates in include/ostream
> then this symbol is no longer missing but I get an assert failure about a
> null facet.
>
> Is removing inline from the function templates the way to solve the missing
> symbol? If so, how do I ensure that the facets are not null? If not, what is
> the correct way to ensure that the inline operator<< symbol are visible?

Making a function defined in a header out-of-line is not the right
solution. Linker errors for this simple use case sound more like
either a configuration/usage problem in your code or a bug in the
compiler.

stdcxx 4.2.1 was tested with several versions of Sun C++ on both
Solaris (SPARC and x86) and Linux (x86). I'm not aware of any
problems like the one you describe. You can the 4.2.1 test results
on this page: http://stdcxx.apache.org/builds/4.2.1/

My advice to you is to find the compiler/OS on the page above that
matches yours the closest, open the log for your configuration (12d
or 12D, depending on if you did a 32-bit or 64-bit build), and see
if your command line options are different and how.

If you can't find anything of use post the source of a small test
case along with the full command line (compiler + linker) needed
to reproduce the problem, as well as the exact compiler version
(the output of CC -V) as well as the name and version of the OS
and the hardware you're using (the output of uname -spr).

Btw., you can also see the compiler and linker options we use by
making one of the example programs that come with stdcxx. E.g.,
make -C$(BUILDDIR)/examples ostream.

Martin