stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Layout
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:32:21 GMT
Gavin wrote:

> [...]

I assume you're referring to the thread on Automating parts of
the web site publishing process. I've seen the discussion but
haven't had time to follow it closely enough to benefit from
it.

> So, here's how I see it for stdcxx :-
>
> Have forrest and site source files where they are currently in
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stdcxx/site/forrest/
>
> Have the generated site files in
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stdcxx/site/deploy/
>
> and 'svn remove' the current content from /site/
>
> The above structure will remove the nasty side effect you currently have of
> forrest source files viewable on the web (http://stdcxx.apache.org/forrest/)
> doesn't look good.
>
> Then create a cronjob to svn up hourly (or whatever delay you prefer) to
> update your /x1/www/stdcxx.apache.org with the updated site files.
>
> That's about it for now, what do you think?

Thanks for the detailed info! The depot structure and the cron
job approach sound reasonable (we already have a cron job running
to periodically update the existing site). My only concern is the
requirement to run Forrest locally on each committer's machine.
Do you happen to know the other projects' rationale for checking
the generated sites into Subversion instead of generating their
sites directly on people.a.o? It seems that since the site is
generated from sources that already are in Subversion there
should be no reason to version the generated HTML as well, and
being able to update the site without having to have Forrest
install seems like a significant advantage. But given that most
other projects do it differently I suspect I must be missing
some significant disadvantages of the "simpler" approach. Is
there concern with the overhead o projects running Forrest too
often?

FWIW, the way I originally set up this project was to generate
the Forrest site in:
   http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/forrest-site/

The cron job that does the updating is in:
   /people.apache.org:/home/sebor/bin/update-site.sh

Martin