stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Gavin" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: Website Layout
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 01:51:22 GMT

<snip>

> > So whilst we are at this level of even-ness (?) it is a good time to
> swap it
> > over and make it live. However, over the next day or two, I will add
> > developer docs on how to go about updating the site, altering/adding
> pages
> > etc..
> >
> > Let me know what you think.
>
> Sounds like a plan.
>
> I assume we'll commit just the Forrest sources into Subversion
> and generate the site out of them on people.a.o using a cron
> job, correct?

Well, I'm sure various projects do things in slightly different ways.
However I would not recommend doing any building on people.a.o , and is not
necessary anyway.

This is how Forrest, xmlgraphics and a few others do it :-

1. Alter xdocs locally to your needs.
2. svn ci to get sources upto date in svn
3. locally run 'forrest -f publish.xml build'
4. locally run 'forrest -f publish.xml deploy'
5. /x1/www/stdcxx.apache.org svn up

That's the general gist, more fully,

Forrest stores its site source files in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/site-author/

and the generated site docs go to

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/site/

A cronjob on p.a.o then runs svn up hourly to
/x1/www/forrest.apache.org

The hourly sync to eos/aurora then picks that up and your updated docs are
then live.

Again, with xmlgraphics, site source files stored in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/site/

and the generated site docs go to

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/site/deploy/

/x1/www/xmgraphics.apache.org is svn of that deploy location, no idea how
often they run svn up or if it is done manually. Also no idea if they use
forrestbot (steps 2 and 3) or whether they svn ci the generated site, you'd
have to talk to Jeremias about that.

So , possibly 2 slightly different methods.

I'm happy to help show the way to Forrests' method. And of course I will
continue to be on this list for any help required afterwards. One thing to
note for others listening, it is necessary to have Apache Forrest installed
on your local machine in order to alter the xdocs, test locally, build and
then deploy.

There is a renewed talk on infra lists about having a shared zone or
something else where projects can build sites using Forrest/Maven/Anakia
that would be installed on the zone, the idea I guess is that generated
source files would live there and be copied over to various projects
/x1/www/*.a.o/ area. I'm not sure how it would work exactly but I'm
following for now to see how it pans out, or how long it will take. Just
thought I'd mention it, in the meantime we need to do one of the above.

So, here's how I see it for stdcxx :-

Have forrest and site source files where they are currently in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stdcxx/site/forrest/

Have the generated site files in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stdcxx/site/deploy/

and 'svn remove' the current content from /site/

The above structure will remove the nasty side effect you currently have of
forrest source files viewable on the web (http://stdcxx.apache.org/forrest/)
doesn't look good.

Then create a cronjob to svn up hourly (or whatever delay you prefer) to
update your /x1/www/stdcxx.apache.org with the updated site files.

That's about it for now, what do you think?

Gav...