stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Travis Vitek" <Travis.Vi...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: Default BUILDTYPE and/or BUILDMODE?
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:21:48 GMT

>Eric Lemings wrote:
>
>What is the default BUILDTYPE if it is not defined in the build (make)
>command?

11s

>Here are some values from $builddir/makefile.in when BUILDTYPE is not
>specified:
>
>CONFIG_H   = gcc-4.1.1-
>BUILDTYPE  =
>BUILDMODE  =
>LIBBASE    = std$(BUILDTYPE)
>
>Are these values correct?

>I haven't looked but do the docs say if BUILDTYPE (or BUILDMODE) is
>required?

>From section 5 of the README

  Note that exactly one of BUILDTYPE and BUILDMODE must be
  defined.

This comment is not totally accurate from a user perspective. They are
allowed to provide neither as indicated by the quote pasted below...

>Or what the default is?

Again, from section 5 of the README

  The  <build-type>  argument  is optional.  When  not
  specified a build type of 11s is assumed.

>If there isn't a default, I think we should establish one: shared,
>reentrant in all snapshots (i.e. all development) and release on
>all systems, wide builds on wide systems in snapshots and releases
>that support them, debug in snapshots, and optimized in releases.

I only followed that sentence for the first 20 words or so. I don't
understand what you mean when you refer to 'snapshots' and 'releases'.
It sounds like you are proposing that the default be different based on
who is doing the build?