stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: 22.locale.codecvt.out test failure
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:32:10 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:
> Martin Sebor wrote:
>> Travis Vitek wrote:
>>> The named test fails on all platforms with an EXEC error. It
>>> looks like
>>> the problem is that when trying to build the executable
>>> '22.locale.codecvt.out', it actually generates an output file for the
>>> test '22.locale.codecvt', which is obviously not going to be
>>> executable.
>>>

> [...]
>
>>> I know this worked at one time because I was involved in the
>>> discussion for fixing this problem the last time it came up
>>> [http://tinyurl.com/5nv7qx].
>>>
>>> Any ideas why this problem is back to haunt us?
>> There are two tests with similar names:
>>
>>     22.locale.codecvt and 22.locale.codecvt.out
>>
>> I suspect that when 22.locale.codecvt runs, its output is redirected
>> to 22.locale.codecvt.out.
>
> Is there an echo in here? :)

Oh yeah, you said that. Sorry, I missed that bit in your post.

>> If this is true, we might want to change
>> the exec utility (which does the redirection) to send the output of
>> tests somewhere else.
>>

> Sure, that is one option. But that doesn't answer my question. Why is
> this failing now, after it worked in the past. See
>
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-650

Dunno. Maybe it never did work correctly and I missed it when
closing the issue.

> Now my new question is, why change the output file extension? It seems
> that would have a better chance of causing additional failures.

Now you didn't read what I said carefully enough ;-) I didn't
suggest changing [just] the file extension, or say to what it
should be changed. One option might be  to redirect the output
to a file named something like ${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/$prefix.out.$$
where prefix might be the name of the test program.