stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject ABI stability of aligned_union et al
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:01:22 GMT
The mangling of std::aligned_union depends on support for variadic
templates in that specializations of the template will be mangled
differently depending on whether _RWSTD_NO_VARIADIC_TEMPLATES is
#defined or not. It seems that it should be possible to assure
compatible mangling between the two, but I'm not 100% sure, and
if it is, that it's worth the effort. There might be other
templates where we may not easily be able to achieve compatibility.

I suppose the big question then is: should we try to fortify the
implementation against ABI changes caused by changes in the
techniques used in the implementation of C++ 0x? In the past we
didn't concern ourselves with this issue but since we can expect
compilers to only start supporting some of the new core language
features such as variadic templates only slowly and piecemeal,
a few at a time, I think it's a concern that we need to address
early on.

Thoughts?

Martin