stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: type_traits progress
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 20:21:16 GMT
One comment on the design of the tests: template instantiation
is very expensive both in terms of compiler cycles and in terms
of disk space taken up by the generated object code. We need to
avoid instantiating more than the bare minimum of code. So for
example, in tests/utilities/20.meta.help.cpp,
test_integral_constant() would ideally be an ordinary function
with the expected and tested values being passed in by the macro.
Also, if there's a way to avoid using function templates (such
as test_is_same_type) and use class templates instead it should
save us some cycles (especially with optimization) and disk
space.

As an aside, tests don't need to use the _STD macro. The test
config header testdefs.h does the necessary magic to let us use
the name std directly even when _RWSTD_NO_NAMESPACE is #defined.

Martin