stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Travis Vitek" <Travis.Vi...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: on branches and merging (was: Re: failing regression tests)
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:42:46 GMT

>Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>It occurs to me that even if most work were done on the release
>branch(es) the changes would still need to merged only in the
>opposite direction: from each branch to trunk and/or to other
>branches. I'm afraid I don't see how the merging problem can
>be avoided. Do you?

I don't see the merge itself as the most serious problem. The trouble is
trying to figure out what changes can be merged out to 4.2.x from trunk.

I believe that we currently have some changes that aren't suitable for
4.2.x on trunk. When someone goes and tries to do the merge out, they
have to make sure they do the merge correctly and they have to be
careful to not merge changes that are incompatible with the target
branches compatibility requirements. That is what I'm worried about.

If the merging was going from 4.2.x to trunk, then the compatibility
issue is moot.

Travis