stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: process for filing issues
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:24 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:

> I'd like to propose the following change to the process for filing
> issues.
>
> "After an issue is created and categorized as a defect (bug), it
> can not be assigned to a particular release until the scope of the
> issue is determined (i.e. the causality of the issue needs to be
> analyzed)."

I take it that by "scope" you mean the effort the problem will take
to resolve (and not, for example, the impact on users).

> If this is not done, the scope of the issue can easily fall outside
> the plans for the release.  If -- for example -- we're planning to
> release a new version -- even a patch release -- in a matter of
> weeks or days, assigning 8 new unscoped issues to the release within
> a 2 day timeframe will only wreck those plans.

I think it's the task of the Release Manager to decide which issues
should be looked and might need to be addressed in the release they
manage and which ones can safely be deferred or ignored. In my view,
if we discover a serious regression late in the release cycle we'll
need to fix the regression regardless of the deadline and no matter
how long it might take. Avoiding such regressions is more important
(and usually less costly) than meeting a deadline but causing all
kinds of pain to users.

What's happening with 4.2.1, unfortunately, is that there are
a large number failures in the test suite that we don't have much
of an understanding of and that might be hiding serious problems
(e.g., STDCXX-843 precipitated by the seemingly innocuous
STDCXX-826).

Btw., from a more practical point of view, if all problems found in
nightly builds needed to be analyzed in enough detail to be able to
tell how much time each would take to fix before it could be worked
on we'd almost never even get started on them because the analysis
is usually the most time-consuming stage.

> Would like to see a vote taken on this proposal.

To formally bring up a proposal for a vote start the subject with
[VOTE]. In this case, I don't think having a vote on a change to
an informal process that itself hasn't been voted on yet would
make sense.

Martin