stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: spaces in rw_xxx_expand()
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 23:31:24 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:

>> Martin Sebor wrote:
>>
>> PING? Should I open an issue for this or is it something you're
>> already working on or planning to?
>>

> Well if we want 100% compatibility with the shell, then it should be
> implemented.

I don't expect rw_shell_expand() to necessarily behave exactly
the same way as the shell in every respect but I do think the
function should interpret escapes and quotes the same the shell
does. In my experience, quoting spaces is more common than
escaping them is so must users would find it surprising if
quoting didn't work.

> I took a look, and I think I can fix it by modifying
> _rw_brace_graph::brace_expand_write() to treat quoted blocks literally
> and failing if an unescaped quote isn't matched. That will break
> rw_brace_expand(), but that isn't too big of a deal as we've discussed
> removing that function several times.
>
> Would you please open an issue for this? I would have done this myself,
> but I'm not sure how high a priority this is for you. I'm assuming that
> this is not to serious because you should be able to work around it by
> using escapes.

Okay, it's STDCXX-825
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-825

I don't think it's a pressing enhancement but it would be
nice to get it implemented at some point before we start
using the function in our test suite.

Martin