stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Travis Vitek" <Travis.Vi...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r628839 - /stdcxx/trunk/tests/self/0.braceexp.cpp
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:28:21 GMT

>Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>Travis Vitek wrote:
>>
>[...]
>> I'm honestly leaning toward implementing the behavior of
>either csh or
>> ksh, and adding support for bash style sequences.
>
>This sounds perfectly reasonable to me. IMO, these are all corner
>cases that I suspect we're unlikely to run into in our limited uses
>of the function. (As much fun as they are to talk about.)
>
>The one question that we do need to decide is how the function should
>deal with whitespace. I.e., whether <pcs-char> in the grammar includes
>the set of whitespace characters or whether they are treated as special
>delimiters.
>
>Martin

Unless there are objections, I'm leaving rw_brace_expand() as-is. That
means that <pcs-char> includes all whitespace. I plan on adding a new
function rw_shell_expand() that will tokenize the input string on
whitespace and apply rw_brace_expand() to each whitespace delimited
token and gather the results into a single buffer.

At some point in the future, I'd expect to see us implement
rw_variable_expand() that would do bash shell variable expansion on an
input string. When that happens, rw_shell_expand() would be augmented to
apply variable expansion to the brace expanded string.

This allows for easy seperation of concerns, and should make testing and
maintenance a bit simpler.

Travis