stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: _RWSTD_VER value on trunk
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:23:59 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:

> Martin Sebor wrote:
>> This has been bugging me -- when someone checks out trunk, does a build
>> and sends
>> us build results, we have no way of telling that the build results are, in
>> fact, for trunk and
>> not for 4.2.0 (or the head of 4.2.x), because the value of _RWSTD_VER is
>> the same. I
>> think we should change it so that the value is unique for each branch, or
>> at least distinct
>> from any release.
>>
>> Any suggestions for what would be a good value?
>>

> Martin,
>
> If all you care about is detecting what branch the results are for, why
> can't we just dump $HeadURL$ of the GNUmakefile to the top of the build
> results?

Yes, I think that's what Mark meant. I like the idea I just wasn't
sure I wasn't missing some downside since we'd be taking the macro
out of $TOPDIR/include/rw/_config.h and moving it to the generated
config header in $BUILDDIR. I.e., it won't be possible to grep for
the macro in the freshly downloaded/extracted sources to find the
version -- see my comments below:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-_RWSTD_VER-value-on-trunk-p14340222.html

But unless someone does come up with a problem I'll go ahead and
cook up something along these lines.

Martin