stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Division of STDCXX into smaller distributions?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:40:22 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:

> Would it be a good idea to divide the STDCXX distribution into two
> separate distributions, one distribution containing the primary source,
> tools, and examples, and the second distribution containing the test
> driver and test suite?
>
> Would this make the test suite more robust, the test driver more
> reusable, while at the same time making the library itself more
> maintainable?

If done right, it would make it possible to use the same test
suite with different versions of the library, or even with other
implementations of the library. I'm not sure I see how it would
make the library easier to maintain.

I think it's a good idea but it would be quite a bit of work.
The test library and driver depend on a bunch of config macros
generated during the configuration of the library so in order
to make it possible for them to stand alone this dependency
would have to be removed. It might mean creating config tests
(and supporting infrastructure) for the test suite, potentially
with code duplication between the two.

Martin