stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Intel C++ 9.1/Win XP build timeouts
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:10:57 GMT
Andrew Black wrote:
> Travis Vitek wrote:
>> Martin Sebor wrote:
>>> Sounds like that would be the right place to make the change. Let
>>> me see if we can get it implemented on the Batman side of things,
>>> or in the build script.
>>>
>>> Travis, do you have enough experience with the Windows Scripting
>>> Host to modify the stdcxx build script that Batman invokes to do
>>> this?
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>
>> No, I don't have mush experience with WSH. I don't even know the name of the
>> script that Batman invokes for building stdcxx. I'm sure I could figure it
>> out though.
>
> Batman invokes an internal glue script.  That script in turn 'call's the
> generated build_<compiler>.bat script.  My understanding of the
> semantics of the call batch command is that it executes the script in
> question within the current process (like the unix . operator).

Hmm. This really does seem like a Batman problem, Travis' comments
below notwithstanding. We shouldn't need to do anything special to
help Batman kill our own builds. Another way to look at it is that
Batman (or any test harness) shouldn't be relying on the products
it tests to function correctly.

> --Andrew Black
>
>> Unfortunately I'd prefer if we could find a solution outside of Batman.
>> Occasionally, I want to stop a build that I'm running locally. CTRL+C will
>> get my command prompt back, but it often leaves some of the other processes
>> running, or stuck in a bad state [devenv.exe, cscript.exe, exec.exe, ...].

I've noticed this too. It is annoying and it would be nice to fix
it (even if Batman does implement its own solution). Unfortunately,
I know next to nothing about WSH or Windows job control and I doubt
I'll have the time or the energy to work on it in the near future.
If someone would like to look into it as their pet project that
would be cool ;-)

Martin