stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r588290 - /incubator/stdcxx/branches/4.2.x/etc/config/windows/projectdef.js
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:48:13 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:

>   So I think first we need to decide whether the information from
> the source pdb is needed to the library users in dynamic builds or not?
> - If no, then we can generate the source pdb in IntDir with the default
> name
>   (this is the same that revert the patch for dynamic builds).
> - If yes, then we can use the single pdb file in OutDir, or generate two
>   pdb files libstdxx.pdb and libstdxx_src.pdb both in OutDir.

As they say, it's combined into the output .pdb, but in general the src
pdb contains information useless to anyone except the object linker, so
it is bloated.  The single-pdb is not a good solution for release builds
where the .pdb will be shipped.

It's also NOT interchangeable in older versions of the compiler/linker,
and moving to a more modern compiler or linker (unpaired) can prove
very problematic.

Bill