stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: ios_bits.cpp and MSVC
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:58:33 GMT

Farid Zaripov-2 wrote:

> [...]
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-613
>
>   This bug avoided in _defs.h:
>
> _defs.h, line 1020:
> -----------
> #  ifndef _RWSTD_NO_STATIC_CONST_MEMBER_DEFINITION
> #    define _RWSTD_DEFINE_STATIC_CONST(decl)   decl
> #  else   // if defined (_RWSTD_NO_STATIC_CONST_MEMBER_DEFINITION)
>      // disable defintion of static const integral members
>      // to work around compiler bugs such as those in MSVC
>      // or Intel C++/Windows that cause multiple definition
>      // linker errors (see PR #26562 and #30260)
> #    define _RWSTD_DEFINE_STATIC_CONST(ignore)   /* empty */
> #  endif   // _RWSTD_NO_STATIC_CONST_MEMBER_DEFINITION
> -----------
>
>   I've commented the #if !defined (_MSC_VER) || (_MSC_VER <= 1300)
> and corresponding #endif lines in ios_bits.cpp, and the test shows no
> any errors.

I assume you couldn't find anything in the ChangeLog? I'll have to check
the Perforce log at Rogue Wave to see if I can find any clues as to why
the conditional is there when I'm back in the office (I'm out sick today and
possibly tomorrow). But if you've tested the code after removing it (I'd do
several different build types just to be sure) and didn't see problems I'd
say it should be a safe change to make.

Martin