stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <>
Subject Re: improving Windows build logs
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:39:19 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
> [...]

That's frustrating. The tool shouldn't be forcing us to link with
libraries that aren't used. It's possible that they are ignored
(and eliminated) by the linker but it still sends the wrong
message to users who copy the command line options from our logs
into their makefiles. I'm beginning to think that we might want
to consider generating and using makefiles to build the library
instead of (or in addition to) the library project/solution.

>   The first "kernel32.lib user32.lib" are appended by the solution
> generation script
> because the default list on MSVCExpress contains kernel32.lib only.
>   I can't do enything with appending of the default list of libraries.
> The only I
> can do is remove that list from build logs.

I would definitely not do that. If we're linking with the libs
it needs to show in the logs, if only as a reminder to us that
we should see about removing them in the next version of Visual
Studio, if it's possible.

View raw message