stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r577778 [1/20] - in /incubator/stdcxx/trunk/etc/nls: charmaps/ posix/charmaps/ posix/src/ src/
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:20:59 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:

> Martin Sebor wrote:
>> Travis Vitek wrote:
>>> It appears that svn has a pre-commit hook that could be used
>>> to require that the correct change format be used for all
>>> submissions. That would avoid this problem in the future.
>> That'd be cool! Maybe we could even use it to reject badly formatted
>> changes ;-) Seriously, the question is, can we use the hook w/o svn
>> admin privileges?
>>
>> Martin
>>

> The script itself doesn't require admin privs, but installing it might.
> I'm not really much of an svn user/administrator so I don't know for
> sure. Obviously someone would have to 'flip the switch' by putting the
> script into the correct directory.
>
> Now that I think about it, there is a bit of a wrinkle. Apache svn is
> shared by all of the apache projects, so the same set of hooks is used
> for them all. Obviously our hook could check the affected file path
> before examining the changelog, but I don't know if that would be good
> enough.

Being in a position of enforcing our coding style across all
of the ASF sounds intriguing but I suspect we might encounter
some initial resistance until we've convinced every committer
that our style was the best ;-)

> I think it is something that would be useful, particularly because I'm
> the one always goofing up the changelogs.

I agree. The biggest hurdle is getting others, including the
INFRA team, on board with this (we might be able to make it
slightly easier by volunteering for INFRA). If you can find
a way that would let us hook into svn just for us, w/o going
through too much bureaucracy, I think it might be worthwhile
looking into.

Martin