stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject list of required C++ features
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 05:17:15 GMT
I'd like us to start to think about and putting together a list
of widely implemented core C++ features whose absence we currently
work around with the help of configuration tests and macros and
that are contributing in a significant way to the maintenance and
development effort of the library. By widely implemented I mean
by all the compilers we are currently testing with; note that
this does not include Visual C++ 6.0 :)

The goal of this exercise is, of course, to eliminate the most
costly of the workarounds and simplify the implementation for
4.3, and establish a policy for the implementation of the next
C++ standard (i.e., all of the TR1 extensions) for 5.0.

A couple of "high profile" features that come to mind are:

  * member templates
  * partial specialization

Others?

Martin