stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: renaming branches/4.2.0 to branches/4.2
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:07:04 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Martin Sebor wrote:
>> Hmm. I admit I hadn't thought of the local checkout problem. Your
>> suggestion sounds most sensible. The only concern I have is that
>> we may not graduate before the release. (I guess I'd better hurry
>> up with the proposal!) Maybe we could do both: leave 4.2.0 in
>> place for now and also create 4.2 (or 4.2.x like APR would). Then,
>> during the transition, we would drop 4.2.0. Does that seem like
>> a good plan?
>
> Well, we release the tags/ tree, not the branches/ tree, so it isn't
> that much of a hassle either way.
>
> You don't want two copies.  Best I can suggest is you ***might***
> want a alias 4.2 for now that would go away, and be replaced with the
> 4.2.0 branch in a mv later.  SVN externals would let you accomplish
> this without breaking things.

I see. If I understand correctly you're suggesting to create
branches/4.2.x/ and set its svn:externals property to
branches/4.2.0/ until we move repositories. During the move
we will first remove branches/4.2.x/ and the rename (move)
branches/4.2.0/ to branches/4.2.x/.

If this is not it, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll plan
on setting it up first thing tomorrow. I've never used
svn:externals so this'll be an interesting exercise!

Thanks
Martin